A huge Thank you to Roda (Growing Self) for nominating me for The Liebster Award 😀 Roda writes a beautiful and well-grounded, Earthy blog that embraces artistry, gardening, and finds awe in the everyday. It’s beautifully written and I highly recommend you check it out:
But what exactly is the Liebster Award?
“Liebster” is a German word meaning beloved or dearest. In the world wide web of bloggers, the Liebster Award is a form of recognition given by bloggers to other new bloggers for enjoying or valuing their work. It’s a warm and fuzzy way to highlight, credit and encourage favourite new up and coming blogs within our writing community.
My warm and fuzzy vibes are all in action. The last thing I anticipated in starting this blog was any kind of award. Particularly less than a month after its conception.
Once nominated, a blogger is asked to:
- Answer the 11 questions that your nominator has asked you
- Nominate 11 other bloggers (with under 200 followers)
- Ask your nominees 11 questions
- Let them know that you have nominated them
- Why did you start blogging?
Because in the middle of a meditation retreat I decided starting a blog would be a great way to express my thoughts and ideas. A way to connect and share with others in an uninhibited way.
- Who is your role model? Why?
I have many role models… Emma Watson for her unwavering stand for Feminism; My sister for her strong determination and using her vulnerability as strength; My grandparents who started a life in a new country with very little – and made the most of what they had to life cheerfully and with much gratitude; my Yoga teacher for her amazing blend of strength, compassion and depth of knowledge… I’m grateful to have so many role models in my life. I’m a firm believer that anyone can teach you something if you’re open to learning from them.
- Use one word to describe yourself?
- Do you have a pet? If so, what is your favorite thing about your special friend?
I wish. I have had pets in the past (Rabbits and a gorgeous kitten) – my favourite thing was their unconditionally loving nature… and their soft little ears!
- What is your favorite color? Why?
Purple – I’m not sure why… It looks pretty and I’ve been drawn to it for as long as I can remember.
- Where on Earth is your most memorable travel destination?
Sicily – in the summer. Stunning beaches, long days lazing in the sunshine, deep, cool, clear water to swim and explore, the best gelato and sweets anyone could imagine, Mt Etna overseeing her surrounds and sending freezing rivers of melted snow down through the mouths of the volcanically and geometrically carved caves, fresh produce sold from the kerbside and sweetened by the air thick with home cooking. The quietness of an afternoon siesta time followed by long nights of salsa dancing washed down with a local house red.
- What is your favorite book?
Dear Fatty, by Dawn French – she somehow manages to convey the serious, the beautiful and the bountiful moments of life, and intersperse them with them with deep comfort. Acknowledging to the reader that they are not the only ones who’ve engaged in such awkward moments of life!
- Are you a city mouse or a country mouse?
Country mouse. Definitely. I grew up in a regional area. One of those towns where most people know each other. I find comfort in community and loved growing up in a (mostly) easy-going and fun-loving group of fellow country kids. I often have a deep sense of knowing when I’m talking to someone who grew up in a similar environment
- What is your favorite vegetable?
My grandfather loved them because he lived off them during a time when he was enslaved as a prisoner of war. His love of this vegetable meant that he would also make it for me in his favoured style – boiled, and served with garlic and olive oil. My grandmother makes an amazing Italian potato salad, and I love my Mum’s roasted potatoes. Mash is good too though it was less available to me. So many ways to mix it up with this humble veggie J
- What is your Superpower?
Listening without judging or trying to ‘fix’ things. Most people have their own answers already. They just need a space to voice what’s happening for them and discover their own answers.
- What do you love most about YOU?
I love my ability and freedom to make choices that feel right for me
And the Nominees are:
Now I understand that not everyone chooses to be a part of the award nomination process. By nominating the following 11 blogs, thank and appreciate each nominee for the joy these individuals have brought to my life. If you choose to take part, that’s wonderful! If not, no worries! Just keep writing…
Questions for the nominees:
- What inspired you to begin blogging?
- One word to describe yourself?
- What’s the strangest thing that has happened to you today?
- What are you most looking forward to this week?
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- Which band were you really in to as a teenager (that you now feel a bit embarrassed to admit to having liked)
- Where is your favourite place to be?
- When is the last time you stopped to feel the Earth under your bare feet?
- What shapes do you see in the clouds above you right now?
- How do you feel about your birthday?
- Do you prefer beach, mountains, bush, city or suburbia?
Lots of love from my crooked curve of the world to yours.